U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 59-year-old female asked:

I have a cholestral bump for years now the size of a pea in the corner of eye near nose. yesterday the whole thing got swollen i cannot go to the doctor i am using hot compresses and polysporin (bacitracin and polymyxin).

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
See an eye doctor: There are few home remedies that are effective at treating your condition. If the spot is on the eye itself, it is likely a growth related to sun exposure (pingueculum or pterygium). It is usually benign but can become irritated. The only effective treatment is removal. Short course of steroid drops may work sometimes, but see an eye doctor in order to get the right treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 5, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.