U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 53-year-old female asked:

I have mitral valve regurgitation with tricuspid regurgitation with mild pulmonary hypertension and dystolic disfunction. should i be worried?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ew Baldwin
Cardiology 21 years experience
Maybe -- it depends: Valve regurgitation becomes a serious problem when it is severe, and at that point it might require surgery. If the valve regurgitation is only mild or moderate, it can be followed by your physician. It sounds as though with your conditions, maintaining excellent blood pressure control will be very important.
Dr. Charles Burger
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care 37 years experience
Mitral Regurgitation: The answer to your question depends on a lot of different factors, most importantly your symptoms and the severity of the mitral regurgitation and cardiac dysfunction. You are best served to have your situation reviewed by a cardiology specialist.

Similar questions

Houston, TX
A 21-year-old male asked:

How do you treat pulmonary hypertension and "mild mitral valve regurgitation?" what causes it?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ashu Syal
Pediatrics - Nephrology & Dialysis 31 years experience
Treatment: Now this is tough one! pulmonary hypertension due to several reasons--- one if them is mitral regurg. Nowmitral regurg could be due to congenital or infectious reasons. Surgical treatment of mitral regurg ( valve replacement) can treat pulm. Hypertension. But if there are chronic changes in lungs due to pulmonary hypertension then surgery might not help latter. Meds are there to treat but no cure!
Last updated May 8, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.