U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

I'm an athlete, what should i do for a sore achilles problems?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Keyvan Ganz
Podiatry 20 years experience
Rest and rehab: The problem with achilles tendon is the poor circulation for healing. So it takes longer to heal than other tendons or muscles. First rest and ice the tendon to reduce the inflammation. Then stretching(dynamic and static) to reduce the tension on the tendon that causes it to get sore. First get eval by a podiatrist then they will guide you when physical therapy is right.
Dr. Oliver Wang
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 11 years experience
Good orthotics: See podiatrist for suspension casted orthotics. Stay away from foam box impressions that do not accurately capture your arch impression. Also make sure you have motion control running shoes. Not minimalist shoes.
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
39 years experience
Find cause: Must find the cause of your pain by seeing a foot and ankle specialists. Start with rest ice compression and elevation. Likely need orthotics but may consider MRI to rule out any damage to achilles.

Related questions

A 34-year-old member asked:
How to treat a runner's sore achilles?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
How can I prevent a sore Achilles from running?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 37-year-old female asked:
I have had a sore leg but I am experiencing pain in the calf and the Achilles?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated May 6, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.