Mechanicsville, VA

my daughter's orthodontist wants to have four canine teeth pulled because of crowding. but wouldn't an expander be better for her future adult teeth?

Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Perhaps: Tooth extraction for ortho purposes is common. However it is usually bicuspids., not canines. Many orthodontists today prefer not to extract teeth if at all possible. I suggest you get a second opinion.
Dr. Stephen Gordon
Dentistry 43 years experience
Adult canines?: Never remove adult canine teeth unless absolutely necessary (decay/fracture rendering the tooth unrestorable only). They have the longest roots and are the "cornerstone" of one's dentition. I am not a fan of 4 premolars tooth removal either, it can change the person's profile! least traumatic is removal of 1 lower anterior tooth, if possible. If in doubt, get a second opinion.
Dr. Tom Semans
Dentistry 37 years experience
If possible yes: If an expander can be utilized to create room for the teeth to erupt and accomplishes good final orthodontic results, it is a better treatment. If the canines are permanent canines , i would seek a second opinion. Orthodontic results can be accomplished with various treatment approaches.
Dr. James Donley
Dentistry 54 years experience
Yes: Removal of permanent teeth for orthodontics is rarely needed today with the use of expanders and similar appliances. The canines should almost never be removed. They are key to having a good bite. I would definitely get a second opinion.
Dr. Victor Grazina
Specializes in Orthodontics
Get a second opinion. Removing premolars can be indicated if it will improve the face- not for crowding and never canines.
Feb 1, 2013
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Not necessarily: All Dentists, including Orthodontists, would prefer not to remove teeth. Sometimes (about 30%), however, there's no choice. Expansion has finite limits. Expand too far and the tooth roots come out through the bone, leading to Periodontal maintenance problems in adulthood. Your Orthodontic Specialist is the best source of information as to why your child requires extractions.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Provided original answer
As to expansion vrs extraction, expansion has finite limits. Make sure you are seeing a qualified Orthodontic Specialist who is trained in dento-facial growth and development management.
Nov 26, 2014
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 28 years experience
Depends: on her exact jaw structure and the case. it is true, many orthodontists will pull teeth that could have been saved because it is "easier", but sometimes its simply needed and there is no other solution. If you are concerned, get a second or even third opinion before starting treatment
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26 years experience
How old is your: daughter? I suspect these are baby teeth and not permanent teeth. If they were permanent teeth, then I might be more skeptical, but removing baby canine teeth is relatively common to give room for the front teeth to come in. It can decrease active orthodontic treatment time.