Madison, OH

I have had lichen planus since late 90's. is it normal to have it so long? still get painful sores on tongue.should i see dermatology or oral surgeon?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Can happen: This varies from individual to individual. Both severity and duration varies. Some patients continue to have lichen planus for the rest of their lives. I would consult with either an oral surgeon or an oral pathologist. There are medications that may be helpful, especially in the acute phases.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Robert Ryan
Dentistry 51 years experience
Normal: Lichen planus is one of those maladies that tends to stay with us once it is acquired. It tends to display as both skin lesions and oral lesions...So, it is dealt with by professionals in both specialties. A dermatologist or a dental professional trained in oral medicine or oral biology can give more information regarding treatment.
Dr. David Sire
Dermatology 55 years experience
Dermatologist: Lichen planus in the oral cavity has several causes that can be treated. You should see a dermatologist who can perform additional tests eg. Patch testing if indicated to find the cause if possible.
Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology 30 years experience
I would recommend: dermatologist, unless it is an oral surgeon who is experienced with lichen plans
Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry 43 years experience
All oral surgeon that I am aware of are trained in managing lichen planus of the mouth, obviously in this case ( sores on the tongue) an oral surgeon is qualified to treat this patient .
Aug 18, 2014
Last updated Nov 2, 2015