could there be a connection between homosexuality and aspergers?

Dr. Frank Gaskill
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 24 years experience
Unclear: In Asperger girls (aspergirls) there does seem to be a higher percentage of homosexuality but clear research is this area has not been completed. Aspergirls is a good book to review for girls. Have not run into anything for males but will keep you posted if i do. Here is my take on the subject. http://youtu.be/xg1ngp1ngds.
Pathology 44 years experience
Why do you ask?: Teens are often cruel to one another, and a peer who is "different" because of shyness, focus on academics or some other interest, uncoordinated, or lack of social skills -- as Asperger kids are -- is going to be called "gay". Truth be told, both "high functioning autism" and "homosexuality" are a continuum with "normal", and wherever a person falls on either line is their personal gift.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
I like this answer Dr. F. I am very curious as to the context of this question and would love for the author to explain or ask more questions to get to the root of his real question. But, one thing that I would add is that Homosexuality is in no way a mental illness, a personality defect, or in any way a medical or psychological condition. Homosexuality is found in all living species.
Jan 21, 2014
Pathology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
Exactly. I hope that the questioner's appreciation for the diversity of humankind continues to grow, as mine has done. The real continuum would be "with everybody else."
Jan 21, 2014