United Kingdom (Great Britain)

i go gym and i need to take my protein shake, but the doctor gave me oxytetracycline for minor acne, is it safe to take the protein shake? contains zinc

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Safe but useless: The "shake" is a complete waste of money. There will be very little absorption of the tetracycline for 2 hr after. If it works for you, take the tetracycline. But other prescriptions have almost completely replaced this because of better results. Don't believe any claims of any benefits for the shake:all lies. Eat good food.
Pathology 44 years experience
Sure: Be sure you use topical benzoyl peroxide, retinoic acid or salicylic acid while you're on the tetracycline for the acne. I can't advise zinc as a routine supplement if you're not a vegetarian who needs complicated supplementation. Cheap protein power you buy on your own may be a better choice.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
No protein powder is worth anything. Many of them are also contaminated with ingredients not listed on the labels. See below.
Sep 19, 2014

Last updated Sep 19, 2014