U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Tonawanda, NY
A 35-year-old female asked:

Dad hosp for 5 days w symptoms of bowel obstruction.2nd ct dye passed thru -1st didn't. has distended stomach and nausea still.gas & small bms. ideas?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Anshu Guleria
Urology 34 years experience
May need surgery: If he is not getting better with bowel rest, he may need surgical release of the obstruction. Make sure you speak to the general surgeon on his case.
Dr. Michael Murray
Breast Surgery 34 years experience
Small bowel ostruct: Small bowel obstruction can be complete in which nothing will pass into colon or partial in which liquid may get to colon. Complete obstructions usually need surgery a partial obstruction can usually be managed nonoperatively. Ut if the obstruction is high grade and symptons are recurring(as in this case) surgery is sometimes required to release the obstruction.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 13, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.