how many years of sobriety should a recovering alcoholic have before working in a place that sells liquor?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Not a good idea. : Working in an environment that provides continuous temptations is not wise even if one is sober for years. Avoid the situation and find different work.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
No right answer: For some people it is never, and for others it can be immediate. I have known people enter recovery who were working as bartenders, while continuing to work. For most people, the first 3 years are critical at dealing with relapse triggers (like being around alcohol or being around drinking), and i advise my patients to avoid triggers for at least one year when possible.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016