how long is it before it would be dangerous for someone to be in a ct scanner?

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgical Oncology 17 years experience
Depends: It would depend on the settings of the ct scanner.

IL

If CT results are abnormal will the ordering dr be notified right away?

Dr. Mike Moore
Dr. Mike Moore answered
Sometimes...: It depends on the nature of the abnormality and no urgent the reading radiologist thinks the problem is. There are many varieties of abnormal, and many just need a routine follow up, sometimes another study in 6 months or so...So unless the radiologist thinks it is an emergency, the ordering doctor may not my informed right away.

If first CT negative, why repeat?

Dr. Steven Saunders
Discuss.: Depends on ct scan indication and area examined. Often close followup testing makes sure there is no change or growth in area of concern. Need more info from your doctor.

Im so afraid I have alzheimers. I want to go for the ct. What else can I do to for a 2nd opinion?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin answered
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Go see your doctor: Your family doc can assess your current cognitive function and order appropriate tests to either allay or confirm your fears (to some extent). But realize there are currently no 100% accurate tests for diagnosing alzheimer's dementia although the new pet scan w/florbetapir is better than anything else we have. Regardless of diagnosis, exercise & nutrition are key to quality of life & outcome.

Is it possible for a CT to miss mycoplasma?

Dr. Robert Choate
Yes. Radiography.: Mycoplasma is an infectious agent which can cause a host of respiratory disorders, many of which will have no xray or ct findings.
Jersey City, NJ

What does "mild bilateral posterior pleural thickening is stable" mean. I'm scared I just looked at my CT report and saw that but my dr never called!?

Dr. Michael Ekizian
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
No worries: Translation: "mild thickening of the lining of the back side of both lungs has not changed since your previous ct scan." diffuse thickening of the pleura usually results from intense inflammation, such as that which occurs during infection. I don't know what your clinical history is or why you have this finding, but your ct scan shows that it has not progressed since your last study.