PA

I received gallbladder surgery 4 days ago and my doctor said i could resume a normal diet. can i drink coffee, soda, tea, and eat chocolate & hamburgs?

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology 25 years experience
Sure: If what you describe is your normal diet, enjoy.
Dr. Nicole Basa
General Surgery 22 years experience
It may cause issues: I typically tell my post cholecystectomy patients to hold off on fatty foods for at least one month. Fatty foods after cholecystectomy may cause bloating and diarrhea because the extra bile from the gallbladder is no longer there to help digest high fatty loads. This can occur in some people and not in others. If you do have these symptoms it tends to get better over the next several months.
Dr. Nicole White
23 years experience
Be careful with Fats: For 3 weeks after surgery. It takes the bile duct about 3 weeks to take over the job of teh gallbladder.

Last updated Mar 14, 2019