Canada

I have a proximal humerus fracture of the right arm. it is a month old in a clam shell split is it normal for the elbow to be painful and swollen?

Dr. James Bicos
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
Maybe...: Depending on the mechanism of injury (i.e. What led to the fracture and how hard the injury was), there is the possibility that you might have a hairline fracture in your elbow. I would recommend that x-rays are taken of your elbow, if they have not been done in the past. The other option (more likely) is that the elbow is stiff from not being used.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Christopher Ferguson
Orthopedic Surgery 21 years experience
The fracture of the humerus can cause swelling lower in the arm by the pull of gravity, especially with the brace about the arm.
Apr 6, 2013
Dr. Austin Yeargan
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Yes. One month is no time at all either. if you take a normal person's elbow and put it into a splint for two weeks, it becomes stiff. Expect this to resolve in 2-6 months completely.
May 1, 2014
Last updated Dec 26, 2018