ZA

My 4year old son has fractured his arm. the x-ray report says there is a faint undisplaced transverse fracture in the proximal humerus. is it okay to let a doctor see him next week? no one is available today. hes not in any pain

Yes: I would put that arm in a sling & use a wide wrap to hold both to his torso (over his undershirt) . Ibuprophen or acetaminophen for any discomfort. He can bathe/sleep/feed as usual but not be involved in elective physical activities. For this injury they often just monitor it while it heals over several weeks.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Holly Maes
It's ok, but....: Since the fracture is minimal and non-displaced, he can likely wait. However, he MUST remain very inactive and keep the arm totally immobilized in a sling. I'm concerned about a fracture in the humerus - that's a very unusual fracture site except in cases of child abuse. If he starts complaining of any discomfort, then can't wait any longer.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
Urgent care/splint: Use Motrin to control pain, a sling and splint may be placed at a pediatric urgent care center. Avoid use of the arm and a follow up imaging study in 6 weeks is recommended.
Last updated Jan 2, 2021