NY

small black dot roughly the size of my taste buds just appeared on the right side of my tongue. i've never had a dot there my entire life. no pain. ?

Dr. John Comisi
Dentistry 38 years experience
Many possibilities: Have you recently bitten that side of the tongue? It could be an area of healing. It could also be a stained portion of the normal papilla due to foods or beverages. It could also be normal pigmentation that has appeared due to melanin pigmentation. If it does not dissipate or if it gets larger over the next two weeks, see your dentist for an evaluation.
Dr. Matthew Hyde
Dentistry 41 years experience
Most Likely Nothing: That being said it should not be ignored. There are too many things it could be ( but that are not likely) to be listed here. If it changes (larger} or doesn't go away in a week i would recommend you let an oral surgeon or general dentist see it to make sure. Since most likely is not zero chance.(note: if it has been in your mouth more than two weeks i would not wait and call for an appointment.