What should you do if you think your child has been exposed to tuberculosis, and what are the immediate symptoms?

Dr. Joseph Roosth
Go to a doctor: Usually a TB skin test and chest x-ray are done and sometimes cultures, but those are harder to obtain in young kids. Cough, fever, generally feeling rotten would be the main symptoms. Tb in children can be a very bad disease so it is always better to be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Specializes in Pediatrics
See your doctor: Tuberculosis is an infectious disease, but symptoms may be slow to develop. I'd inform my doctor of the exposure, and he/she can determine the plan of action. Retesting is an important part of monitoring TB exposure.
Hard to catch: Infections vary in their ease of transmission.Consider chickenpox one of the easiest, where 1/2 hour in the same room would do it.Most who get TB are living with an active (and coughing )case for months or more.There may not be any symptoms. A simple TB test can be performed and repeated over several months if needed to be sure.