Does hemachromatosis cause avascular narcosis? i was diagnosis with hemachromatosis in 03, surgery for fractured talus in 09, and may have avn in shoulder.

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Michael Dugan answered

Specializes in Hematology

The main issues: With hemachromatosis are usually endocrine (glandular), especially diabetes, erectile dysfunction (gonads) and even pituitary insufficiency. I don't associate it with avascular necrosis.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.4k views

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Not AVN: Hemachromatosis is often an undiagnosed cause of major joint arthritis requiring joint replacement. Your shoulder may just have advanced osteoarthritis associated with hemachromatosis. It can have the same appearance as avn.

Answered 1/9/2019

5.4k views

Dr. Brian Badman answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Unknown: Avn is a condition where the blood supply to a bone diminishes causing the bone to die. This typically affects bones with end blood supplies and commonly occurs in the hip and shoulder (also knee, talus, elbow , etc). Your condition results in iron deposition in tissue and joints. My understanding is the arthropathy involved with hemachromatosis can be diff then the cause of avn but cases exist.

Answered 3/10/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Charles Toman answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

It can: Hemochromatosis can lead to the collection of hemosiderin and iron throughout the body. You didn't mention how your talus was fractured. This is usually a high energy injury. Your shoulder abn could be related to hemangioma todos though.

Answered 8/7/2013

5k views