my 7 yr old was prescribed inhalers for her cough variant ashtma (flovent 2x day, albuterol as neede?

2 doctor answers
32 years experience Pediatrics
Common medications: School-aged children with cough-variant asthma, exercise-induced asthma, or regular asthma can use steroid inhalers (such as flovent) to reduce swelling, mucus, and "sensitivity" in the airways. Bronchodilators such as albuterol (ventolin, proventil) or xopenex (levalbuterol) enlarge the diameter of the airways to help air flow and mucus come out of the lungs. Singulair chewables are another preventive medicine.
Answered on Dec 20, 2012
2
45 years experience Pediatrics
Your question ??: This is a relatively standard approach to asthma, including cough variant asthma . I like my kids to do the Flovent 2x daily if they are coughing for any reason & 1x daily if their coughing stops.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016