how long does dry socket last?

Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry 42 years experience
It depends: It is going to depend on how bad was the infection or how difficult was the surgery, it may last a few weeks, the main thing is to take your antibiotics and antiinflammatory medications, see your dentist as needed. Hope you get better soon.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Varies: A dry socket is relatively easily treated by a dentist who can place medication into the socket, usually every 2-3 days until healing resumes and the pain subsides. This can take one visit or many depending upon the medical conditions, the difficulty of the extraction, and whether or not an infection was present. Relief usually begins within hours of placement of the medication.