hi, i am a 19 year old man and my nipples seem to be swollen. one is bigger than the other. but it is really embarresing. i googled gynecomastia. could it be that?

Dr. Joseph Mele
Plastic Surgery 32 years experience
Puffy nipples: One variation of gynecomastia is puffy nipples. This is caused by excess tissue localized beneath the areola. Gynecomastia reduction surgery can remove this excess tissue and provide a smoother profile. More info here: http://www.Drmele.Com/sanfrancisco-gynecomastia.Html.
Dr. Megan Jack
Plastic Surgery 21 years experience
Male breast tissue: You are correct that this is likely male breast tissue-gynecomastia. This is often a normal variant but in some can be due to hormone imbalance. You should be evaluated by your md to make sure. Treatment is removal of the tissue. I like to use vaser (ultrasound) liposuction with a small incision to remove the fibrous/fatty tissue and provide skin tightening. Rarely a larger incision is needed.
Pathology 44 years experience
I hope our correspondent takes advantage of the surgical option and has as good as result as the other guys I know who've had it done.
Dec 22, 2013
Dr. Larry Nichter
Cosmetic Surgery 36 years experience
Puffy Nipples/Areola: Puffy nipples/areolas are part of gynecomastia presentation.Typically liposuction is used to correct gynecomastia. If there is also a lot of loose skin often this is also removed. Occasionally if their is firm redundant breast tissue it is surgically removed. See a board certified plastic surgeon.

Last updated Oct 24, 2017