U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Naples, FL
A 46-year-old female asked:

Do i really loose weight fast if i start jogging? i'm a total beginner?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Craig Greene
22 years experience
No: Running an 8 minute mile will only burn 100 calories. Compare with drinking one 12 oz dr pepper at 150 calories. It is much easier to put too many calories in than take them out. You have to be cautious in dieting and not slow your metabolism by missing meals and going into starvation mode. Exercise is great for toning and tightening but not very effective at losing weight unless you use weights.
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Depends: Increasing activity is a great way to burn calories and increase lean muscle mass by shedding extra fat weight. To lose weight you still need to burn more calories than you take in by eating. Starting a training program with some help by someone who has experience can start you on the right path to help you with proper nutrition, exercise volume, strength training and rest days. Good luck.
Dr. John Scuba
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 26 years experience
Weight loss: Make sure you get a physical first. Then, walk first. Good pair of shoes, no cheapos because injury of foot, ankle, lower leg, etc, stops about half from ever going further. After you can walk say 2 to 3 miles at a brisk pace (3 miles in 45 mins), with your heart rate over about 120 for at least 30 mins during, then begin slow jogging. But walking muscles and running muscles are different!
Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Absolutely. A walk & jog routine is also an approach that works well, and stimulates the mind too with accomplishment.
Jun 2, 2013
Last updated May 23, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.