why would a gallbladder need to be removed?

Dr. Michael Zadeh
General Surgery 17 years experience
Usually stones.: The gallbladder is most commonly removed because of gallstones, but it may also be removed if the gallbladder is inflamed or infected. Gallbladder removal will relieve pain, treat infection and - in most cases - stop gallstones from coming back. The risks of not having surgery are the possibilities of worsening symptoms, infection and gangrene of the gallbladder.
Dr. David Fertel
Vascular Surgery 35 years experience
When it is diseased: When it is diseased or not functioning properly.N you will have pain in your rt. Upper abdomin.
Dr. Jason Hemming
Gastroenterology 17 years experience
Sometimes gallbladder are removed because of polyps or even malignancy.
Mar 30, 2013