A 37-year-old member asked:
Disclaimer

is it safe to use chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse to disinfect retainers and dentures?

4 doctor answers
Dr. John Thaler
40 years experience Prosthodontics
Safe - yes: Best to scrub with toothpaste and then soak in an antimicrobial effervescent cleaner ( efferdent, etc. ) the Peridex (chlorhexidine gluconate) won't clean nearly as well, but won't hurt them eother.
Answered on Jul 17, 2020
Dr. Lance Panarello
23 years experience Dentistry
Unsure if effective: It will definitely kill bacteria, unsure if it will be broad enough to be considered disinfected. It does have a tendency to produce staining.
Answered on Dec 31, 2017
Dr. Joseph Greenberg
Specializes in Prosthodontics
Yes: Absolutely safe and a good idea.
Answered on Sep 3, 2013
Dr. James Vito
36 years experience Prosthodontics
Yes: Chlorhexidine is an anti microbial rinse. You can soak your dentures in it. Caution, may stain dentures but should be easily removed with tooth brush and tooth paste.
Answered on Jun 24, 2014

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Theodore Ritota
8 years experience Dentistry
Yes: White vinegar cheaper and as effective.
A 21-year-old male asked:
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
35 years experience Dentistry
Yes: continue to wear your retainers and follow the recommendations of your dentist. The oral rinse will help your gums heal and reduce the bacteria in yo ... Read More
A 37-year-old member asked:
Dr. Stanley Siu
16 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
No: Seek emergency medical attention if you or anyone else has swallowed a large amount of chlorhexidine. An overdose of Chlorhexidine would occur only if ... Read More
2
2 thanks
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Stanley Siu
16 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
No: Seek emergency medical attention if you or anyone else has swallowed a large amount of chlorhexidine. An overdose of Chlorhexidine would occur only if ... Read More
1
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month