U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old male asked:

I get a scar (keyloid and hypertrophic scarring) after every little cut. is there a treatment?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 35 years experience
Can be hard to treat: Some people are prone to keloids, probably genetically determined. The problem is that if a doctor cuts out one keloid, another usually forms. Steroids are usually tried, such as an injection of kenalog (triamcinolone) into a keloid. Sometimes, steroids are injected into the site when a surgeon removes an existing keloid. Dermatologists and plastic surgeons with experience in keloids are the specialists to see.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dermatology 21 years experience
Laser: A hypertrophic scar can also be treated with a non-ablative laser. I use the 1064 nm micro pulsed ndyag laser. The laser is non-ablative. It works by heating the skin and causing the scar to remodel with new finer collagen formation. Keloids can also be treated this way. Depending on the size of the keloid and whether other treatments have failed, surgery followed by radiation can be tried.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 6, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.