I hurt my back lifting, why are my hips and left leg hurting? why is my left great toe tingling?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Sciatica: When one injures their back, the nerves that come from the back and go to the legs can get "irritated". This irritation can be due to a slipped disc, spasming muscles, arthritis, inflammation, etc. Some of these symptoms can be serious; best to seek medical attention with your family doctor, internist, or orthopedist.
Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 28 years experience
Disk herniation: You may have herniated a disk when lifting. The disk slips out from between the vertebrae and pinches the nerve causing pain, in the back, hips and legs and numbness and weakness in the legs. Left great toes tingling may be caused by compression of the left L5 nerve root. This is usually from a left l4-5 disk or left l5-s1 disk.

Last updated Jan 15, 2015