Pharr, TX

what causes swollen hands, feet, and ankles? not reduced with diuretic only prednisone. swelling inbetween finger joints not the joints themselves.

Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine 24 years experience
Inflammation: Sounds like inflammation. Must search for cause. Rule out food sensitivity. About 10 percent of population can be sensitive to nightshades, about 30-40 percent can be sensitive to gluten and casein. Other more common food sensitivities include soy, corn, beef, etc. Consider food elimination for at least 2-3 months. Leigh wagner, rd is a good dietitian who can help by phone: 913-588-6208.
Dr. Gregg Vagner
Hand Surgery 24 years experience
I agree with Dr. Fairchild. If her suggestions don't help, you might want to be evaluated by your primary care doctor. There are some inflammatory conditions that can cause what you are describing. These conditions can be helped with medications other than prednisone.
Dec 10, 2012
Dr. Gregg Vagner
Hand Surgery 24 years experience
Inflammation: This sounds like some type of inflammation in the joints. There are a large number of causes of inflammation from food reactions to inflammatory arthropathies, like rheumatoid arthritis. It would be impossible to say what the specific cause of the inflammation is in your case. I would recommend a visit to a health care professional.