Houma, LA

does low or high potassium blood levels cause dizziness?

Dr. Madhu Kandarpa
Nephrology and Dialysis 9 years experience
Both can: High potassium and low potassium both can cause dizziness if severe enough to cause low blood pressure by affecting heart rhythm.

Why does one have low cortisol and high potassium levels in addison's disease?

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatric Endocrinology 21 years experience
See below: Addison's disease is a state of low cortisol or hypocortisolism. In addition to cortsiol, the adrenal galnd also produces a very important hormone called aldosterone. The latter is responsible for reabsorbing sodium from the urine in exchange for potassium. If such hormone is not produced in sufficient quantity (either isolated or in conjunction with cortisol), potassium levels go up.

Can you explain the difference between potassium citrate and potassium carbonate?

Dr. Sidney Vinson
Gastroenterology 27 years experience
Different salts: Both are salts of potassium. One contains carbonate the other citrate. Potassium is the primary ingredient in both n.

On february 23 of 2011nowhere I went to the hospital for having low potassium. And im fully recovered, but when I drink soda I start to get dizzy why?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Nephrology and Dialysis 40 years experience
Unclear to me why: This should not be related to history of low potassium although you need yearly lab to make sure that you do not have that again. Why is being dizzy with soda intake? Could it be related to abdominal distension or ulcer disease? Unclear. Need to check with a doctor who knows your medical history and your vital signs to be able to get a better answer.
TX

Can hyperthyroidism flush out potassium from my body?

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Yes: Yes, especially if the hyperthyroidism leads to diarrhea....A common cause of low potassium.

For several months I have been dizzy, vertigo issues, unable to think/cocentrate, experience blocked ears. Poor vision, nausea, feeling of burning up (no fever), occasional nausea, tingling in back, arms, legs. Extremely fatigued. Occasional metallic tast

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
See an ENT: You should be seen by an ENT or a neurologist as soon as possible and have this diagnosed. Sometimes it may be a condition involving the central nervous system. Please do and hope you are better soon.

Last updated Jun 17, 2019