I stubbed my toe cracked my nail down the right corner it's tender and turning red what are at home treatments for ingrown toenails?

5 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Couple thoughts: You may have an infection that requires medical treatment but give this a try: soak toe in diluted Acetic Acid (vinegar mixed about 1:20 with water) for about 20 minutes. Then, take a piece of cotton ball or q tip and jam it down the corner where the nail is trying to grow inward. This will make a space between the skin and the nail so that the nail will grow upward. Nails grow only 1 mm/ month.

Answered 5/31/2015

5.4k views

Dr. Howard Fox answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Don't mess with it!: Redness may be a sign of infection, and if you whacked it hard enough, you could even have a fracture under there, which would mean you have an open fracture. See a podiatrist and play it safe.

Answered 12/7/2012

5.4k views

Dr. Corinne Kauderer answered

Specializes in Wound care

Natural nail RX. : Treating an ingrown nail naturally can ease the pain. First soak the toe with warm water with two tablespoons of salt and add 1 teaspoon of peroxide in the water or use 1 teaspoon of tree tree oil bd soak twenty minutes. Apply a topical antibiotic then see a podiatrist.

Answered 9/28/2016

5.4k views

Dr. Payam Rafat answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Nail care: Ingrown toenails can be remedied through soaking your foot in warm water, removal of embedded debris from the nail borders, and applying an antibiotic ointment to temporarily soften the corners. One should always try to cut the nails strait across to avoid leaving an embedded nail spicule. If pain or redness continues get it looked at by a professional.

Answered 3/19/2014

4.3k views