Can you eat sunflower seeds when you have diverticulitis?

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Yes: The old teaching suggest that you stay on low residue diet to reduce the chance of recurrent episode of diverticulitis. Sunflower seed do not leave any residue expect for the peal if accidentally ingested. Moreover we do not weigh too much on low residue diet with the recent teaching. Hope my answer was sufficient.

Answered 9/21/2016

5.4k views

Should be fine: While many state to avoid foods with small seeds, there is no consensus regarding this philosophy. Sunflower seeds however are chewed up, so unlike strawberry seeds, should have a risk of blocking up one of the diverticular pockets pouching out from the colon.

Answered 1/11/2018

5.4k views

Yes: It is a common misconception that you should avoid seeds or nuts with diverticulitis. There is excellent scientific evidence that seeds or nuts do not cause diverticulitis. In fact, these are forms of fiber that are beneficial in preventing diverticulosis and diverticulitis. I tell all my patients with a history of diverticulitis to eat nuts and seeds and not worry.

Answered 3/8/2017

5.4k views