U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old member asked:

What is safe to eat with diverticulitis?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Surgery 41 years experience
Active or resolving?: With active diverticulitis on antibiotics, want to eat smaller and easy to digest foods, avoid heavy meals. As you heal you need to increase fiber in the diet with fruits & vegetables and add fiber supplements like metamucil when alright with your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 44 years experience
Generally: For acute diverticulitis, i recommend low to no fiber for 4-6 weeks following diagnosis and treatment with antibiotics. Then if surgery not indicated, you may slowly add fiber back into your diet. If you buy the right groceries and order the right food in restaurants i generally do not find fiber supplements necessary.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 55-year-old female asked:
Can i eat salads if I have diverticulitis or diverticulosos?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 74-year-old male asked:
Can I eat Mac & Cheese with diverticulitis?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
Can people with diverticulitis eat flaxseed?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 62-year-old male asked:
Can i eat blueberries if i have diverticulitis?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 39-year-old female asked:
Can you eat turkey sausage if you have diverticulitis?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Feb 12, 2021
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.