Jackson, MS

Sometimes when i eat or drink something it makes the roof of my mouth hurt. does that mean gum disease?

Dr. Charles Lockhart
Dentistry 10 years experience
Doubtful: The palate rarely is involved periodontally nas it is bone with a thin layer of mucosal lining. Suspect contact dermatitis and an allergy to certain foods or substances.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Not necessarily: If the food you are eating is too hot or too cold temperature wise, it can cause pain on those tissues. Periodontal problems are usually present throughout your entire mouth, so the problem would manefest itself everywhere. When is the last time you had a dental exam and cleaning? Now may be the time to make an appointment. All the best...
Dr. Eric Linden
Specializes in Periodontics
See below: If you have discomfort on the roof of your mouth, you should be seen by a qualified dentist or specialist for consultation. It doesn't necessarily mean you have gum disease, but it might be indicative of something else. Please seek a consultation.
Dr. John Francis
Periodontics 31 years experience
No: If the gums are affected by the disease, it is usually just the gums surrounding the teeth themselves, and not into the roof of your mouth. Also, gum disease is often without symptoms and eating something would not make it hurt more.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 44 years experience
Not typical symptom: What you are describing is not a typical symptom of " gum disease". I'd suggest that if you haven't already, see your regular dentist to make sure you don't have another problem!

Last updated Jul 28, 2020