Las Vegas, NV

left thyroid papillary carcinoma. some follicular cells show hurthle cell/oncocytic changes. is the treatment generally thyroidectomy & rad. iodine?

Dr. Todd Woltman
General Surgery 30 years experience
It depends.: It depends on the size of the tumor. Most surgeons agree that total thyroidectomy is preferable, although there are dissenters. This allows treatment with radioactive iodine and gives us the ability to follow a marker in the blood, thyroglobulin. For very small tumors, observation alone is an option.
Dr. Uma Swamy
Radiation Oncology 16 years experience
Generally Yes.: Here is good patient resource online: http://www.Cancer.Net/cancer-types/thyroid-cancer.
Dr. David Jakubowicz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 22 years experience
Size matters: Depending on size and charevteristics most would recommend a total thyroid and possible radioactive iodine. Speak to your surgeon and endocrinologist.