VA

I co sleep with my 14 month old and lately, even though hes exhausted, hes not falling asleep until 1 which means we are both up. what can i do?

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Sleep Medicine 18 years experience
It's time: Honestly it may be time to give up cosleeping. Sleep habits begin to form about age 6-9 months. If not falling asleep until 1am, means that he is likely significantly sleep deprived unless you allow him to sleep until 1pm. I recommend putting him to bed between 7-8pm separate from parents in a safe location.
Dr. Marie Wilson Marshall
Stop this: This is a good time to correct this sleep disorder because the baby can still sleep in a crib. You must develope a bedtime ritual that at 8-9 pm includes bottle then bath , story then place the baby in the crib that has the bed dropped to the lowest leve, l then leave the room. Allow to cry 10-20 then go back, reassure baby lay back down and leave again in the safety of the crib. Takes 1 week.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016