I was on oxycontin for a year waiting for knee replacement surgery and now need to wean myself off, how can i do it?

Dr. Jack Choueka
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
Get expert help: Trying to do this on your own is difficult. Pain management specilalists can help.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
YOU shouldn't: You should do this with your doctor. Opiate withdrawal can range from very mild and easy to very difficult and even potentially fatal. How fast you can come down depends on your age, general health, dose of oxycodone and the specific kind of pain. It also should require proper treatment of the joint problem. If your doctor doesnt know, he should refer you to someone who does. www.asam.org can help.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016