U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

What will a general practitioner do if i have harmed my self?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Family Medicine 44 years experience
Depends: What harm have you done. A general physician will take your history, examine you and treat accordingly. Testing may be necessary and procedures may need to be done. Hopefully you have a trusting relationship with your pcp and cand discuss issues with him or her and not worry. I hope you have not harmed yourself badly and that you seek care.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Self harm: The doctor will likely ask you if you have thoughts of killing yourself. Your wounds should be checked to see if basic medical care is need. A referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist is likely.

Related questions

A 36-year-old member asked:
What can I do if my girlfriend is self harming, what do I do?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
What can I do if my girlfriend self harms and i want to help her wha shall i do?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
How come I am addicted to self harm?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
I have aspergers and self harm, what to do?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
Doctors, what are your opinions on self harm?
1 doctor answer7 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 5, 2018

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.