how could pulmonary hypertension in mitral stenosis prevent pulmonary edema?

Dr. Mark Stern
Cardiology 46 years experience
Less flow to lungs: If the pressure in the pulmonary artery is high enough, the right ventricle's ability to pump bood to the lungs is diminished. Less blood flow to the lungs means that there is less fluid to leak out into the air spaces ( alveoli).
Dr. Fernando Torres
Pulmonology 27 years experience
It does not: Phtn is a consequence of the back up of blood into your lungs from the mitral stenosis. The blood vessels may vasoconstrict to protect themselves from the high pressures, but by no means they are preventing edema and it is not a good thing...
Dr. Charles Burger
Pulmonology 36 years experience
Mitral Stenosis : Pulmonary hypertension and edema secondary to mitral stenosis are both the result of the elevated left heart pressures that "back up" to the lung. Which condition occurs depends on how quickly and high the pressure rises.