U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

i had a bridge put in and the "anchor tooth" in the back cracked 45 days later. i was told that i had to now buy a newbridge that would cost more than the previous bridge. i believe that the dentist put the first bridge in without examining it. is it dent

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
As : As a surgeon i can tell you that even with the best clinical exam and radiographs fractured teeth escape detection until some event draws your attention to the problem, such as pain, infection or further fracture. Your post did not indicate that you were having symptoms associated with the tooth. Even when fractured teeth are extracted you may not be able to detect the fracture visually. Without the benefit of a clinical exam and radiographs i cannot give you an opinion as to whether or not your tooth may have been fractured. To prove your case you have to show, based on his review of dental records, that the dentist did not practice to the level of the local standard of care and this failure caused you injuries. Malpractice cases almost always require expert testimony about the standard of care and about causation of your problem. This expert needs to competent and admissible expert testimony anchored in reliable evidence about why the standard of care was not met. Awards in cases like this are more limited and typically are for expenses for you would incur to be restored to a functional bite. For this reason, you may have a hard time finding a lawyer to take the case because the award, if the dentist is found guilty, will not be sufficient to cover expenses and the procedures to correct the dental problems. I suggest that you consult with a lawyer if you feel you have grounds for a suit.
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry
Nope. Clinicians : Nope. Clinicians must interpret data presented before them to render a judgement. We don't always have all the clues before us, so based on the data we do the best we can. Also, events after our care are beyond our control. We can do everything perfectly and still not have a favorable outcome. Things sometimes just happen.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 38-year-old member asked:

How can one prevent fungal infections of the feet when taking a footbath?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Podiatry 49 years experience
Liner: Use a disposible liner in the foot bath.
A 31-year-old member asked:

As a caregiver, how can I prevent back injuries helping a 120-lb person stand?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarberaanswered
Pediatrics 28 years experience
See below: Don't use just your back. Bend at the knee and hips, when you are helping the person stand. That will allow you to take the strain off of your back.
A 43-year-old member asked:

How should you lift things to prevent back pain?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
Be aware : Be aware of proper body mechanics by using your legs as your power source and keeping the load close to your body while avoiding any type of twisting or rotation as you lift. Know your limits especially with large, bulky objects or heavy ones.
A 29-year-old member asked:

What are some ways to prevent heel pain besides padding?

5 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 31 years experience
Supportive footwear: Heel pain often caused by insufficient support of feet. Orthotics are very helpful.
A 39-year-old member asked:

What's first-degree ankle sprain?

2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Eric Lullove
Podiatry 19 years experience
Tear of...: First degree sprain - is a tear of only a few fibers of the ligament (in this case, the anterior-tibial fibular ligament) the atfl. It's also known as a "strain" and caused from a rapid inversion injury of the ankle or "rolling" the ankle inside, such as stepping off a curb the wrong way.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.