is it normal for a tooth to be hurting and throbbing after a root canal? root canal was done this past week, tooth is now hurting and throbbing.

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari answered
44 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
I : I assume that your root canal is completed. It is not unusual to have some pain after completion of the treatment due to residual inflammation of the tissues around the root of the tooth. This can be managed with Motrin or advil (ibuprofen). I may also be present if there was an infection in the bone as a result of the death of the nerve. Another possibility is that, if a filling was place, it is in hyperocclusion and causing you to put too much pressure on the tooth. Finally, if there is a fracture in the tooth you could be experiencing discomfort. Contact the dentist who performed the procedure for evaluation and management.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016