Can a bridge be used if only one tooth abuts the missing tooth? i had my 3 consecutive teeth including my left upper front tooth knocked out. my right front tooth already has a crown. i know that a bridge could be used to replace the upper front tooth if

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Your : Your question states that you are missing three consecutive teeth, yet you want to temporarily replace only one of them.. That is what i think you have written. Forgive me if I have misunderstood. To replace any number of teeth, temporarily, you can have a transitional partial denture made.. Some patients call them "flippers". This can replace your missing teeth, restore your smile, and at the same time not damage your other teeth. Speak to your dentist regarding the options for your specific situation.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

There : There are several ways to replace teeth, both temporarily and permanently. I would suggest that you see your dentist as soon as possible, as even a temporary replacement takes some time to fabricate. You should discuss all possible methods of replacement, along with the advantages and disadvantages of each. It's hard to properly advise you without knowing more information and not seeing the x-rays of your teeth. Once you have your missing teeth temporarily replaced, you won't feel pressured into making a hasty decision and then being sorry for possibly making the wrong decision as to the permanent replacement of your missing teeth. With rare exceptions, a permanent bridge needs to have at least one permanent tooth on each side of missing teeth to support the bridge and without too long a span between the two supporting teeth.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Steven Mc Connell answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

As : As a parent with one of the biggest parenting moments coming up, i would absolutely do all i could to make my smile right. On a temporary basis, you could have a temporary bridge made that would be a cantilever type bridge. As suggested, it is not the preferred treatment for long term, but if made so that there is not any biting force on it, you could certainly use it on a temporary basis. The best option would be to actually incorporate this into getting your permanent bridge completed. You would be on the road to getting your final restoration and be able to get an esthetic temporary at the same time.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Lance Timmerman answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

What : What you describe is a cantiliver bridge, which has fallen out of favor over the years for good reason. While it satisfies the issue in the short term, it causes long term damage that often results in losing more teeth. Your front tooth that already has a crown can have the crown removed and used as part of the bridge. Bridges require an anchor tooth on each side of the missing tooth. If finances do not allow it at this time, then a temporary partial denture (flipper) can be used. If too many teeth have been lost, then dental implants can act as abutments/anchors.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views