My three year old has two cavities - what will happen? my daughter has two cavities. are cavities in children and in baby teeth filled the same way that they are in adults?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Yes, : Yes, they basically are. Most likely they are really small and will only require a minor amount of drilling. Please don't be too concerned, i'm sure she will be just fine.
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Orthodontics 45 years experience
Dentists : Dentists today have many tools at their disposal that will help them treat your child with a minimum of discomfort. It could actually be a fun experience if handled correctly. It is important that you are not anxious about it because it will make your daughter anxious and that makes the whole procedure more difficult.
Dr. Zahid Ahmed
Dentistry 12 years experience
Yes: I agree with the others. The same filling materials can be used for baby and adult teeth. W have more options for restoring/treating adult teeth since they are our permanent dentition with a different root anatomy. If both you children have multiple cavities, talk to your dentist about changing the oral hygiene habits at home, and finding ways to prevent future decay. Good habits start young.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Infection: A cavity isan infection that must be treated before it spreads. Please schedule your children with their dentist for treatment of their cavities, oral hygiene instruction, diet advice, Fluoride regimen, sealants, etc. Baby teeth differ anatomically from adult teeth, but the restoration process is similar. Know that the sooner they receive rx, the less rx they will require.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 37 years experience
Mostly the same: The process of removing the decay and placing a restoration is similar but there are some differences because the teeth are smaller. Many 3 year olds are better treated by a pediatric dentist. It is important to get these teeth treated as soon as you can. The dentist will help you find you why your child has cavities and how to prevent them in the future. Follow their advice.
Last updated Sep 30, 2020