DE
A member asked about a female:

my 8 year old daughter had an extremeky large cavity in her top back molar. she was missing 4 sides of the tooth. they recommend a root canal but there really isn't any tooth left to save. would u still recommend a root canal or get it pulled and use a sp

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Get help: if its top back tooth in an 8y old it's a 6y molar, a permanent tooth. Unlike baby teeth if a permanent tooth is lost there is no additional permanent tooth waiting to replace it. Please consult with Orthodontist and with Endodontist (Root Canal Specialist). Removal of permanent molar has serious Orthodontic consequences. What you do now will affect the rest of her life. Seek consultations.
Dr. Grace Chu
Dr. Grace Chu commented
Endodontics 31 years experience
Yes i would still try to save the tooth with a root canal therapy and a buildup to protect and reenforce the tooth as much as possible. And when her growth spurts end she can consider implant replacement if the tooth doens't hold up.
Mar 16, 2017
Dr. Brian Warner
Endodontics 12 years experience
Try to Save It: Even if the tooth does not appear to have much structure left to support a restoration, its retention is important to preserve the supporting bone. A root canal and a restoration may be a long-term temporary solution until something more definitive can be done at a later date, such as an implant.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Visit a pedodontist: If the tooth can be saved with root canal, the pedodontist will discuss your options for stainless steel crown.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Dental Treatment: Root canal therapy is only part of the picture... if the tooth is missing much of it's structure, then a crown would also be necessary. Much to discuss with an endodontist and the restorative dentist.