Do i need a revision rhinoplasty if my nose is still stuffy one year after my first rhinoplasty? my surgeon kept telling me to be patient and the stuffiness would go away. now it's been a year, so i'm thinking it's not going away and i need a revision rhi

10 doctors weighed in across 8 answers
Dr. Thomas Lamperti answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

It's : It's hard to know if you need a revision rhinoplasty, but after a year it would be a good idea to get examined to see if anything can be done to improve your breathing.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. James Ridgway answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

This : This is a common question among patients with post-procedural nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty surgery. Often nasal obstruction is the result of structural (bone, cartilage), soft tissue, or a combined (structural and soft tissue) narrowing of the nasal airway. Ultimately it is important for you to have an internal and external nasal exam to determine the exact cause of your symptoms. You may need may need to undergo additional surgery or medication therapy depending on the exact cause of decreased airflow. Be healthy and be well, james m. Ridgway, md www.Larrabeecenter.Com.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Benjamin Cilento answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Hi, : Hi, most likely...Yes.... If you were able to breathe normally prior to your surgery or if you were having surgery to correct nasal breathing... And 1 year after your surgery you still can't breathe.. Then most likely you will need an additional surgery to correct or maximize the improvement of your nasal airway....

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Jeremy White answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

Most changes finish: There are many reasons for a nose to be congested, some of which might be unrelated to your rhinoplasty. These range from allergies and sinusitis, which are treatable medically, to structural problems within the nose that might require surgery. You should revisit your plastic surgeon, but consider seeing someone who does both plastic surgery and ENT if you remain unsatisfied.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.4k views

Dr. David Sherris answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

You might: At a year you may want to get a second opinion, or see an ENT doctor for evaluation for the breathing problem.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.4k views

Dr. Evan Sorokin answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Hard to tell: Without an examination it is impossible to tell if you need a revision. If you do not trust the answer you are getting from your surgeon you can always go get an in person second opinion. Best of luck!

Answered 10/4/2016

5.4k views

Dr. Mark Checcone answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Common question: Was your initial surgery for cosmetic concerns, for a breathing problem or both? If your breathing got worse, it's likely a revision may help and should be done by someone with experience doing revision surgery. If your breathing never got better or improved only temporarily, you may have a medical cause for stuffiness such as allergies or polyps. Check with a local ENT to explore these options.

Answered 7/9/2015

5.2k views

Dr. Anthony Sclafani answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

Perhaps: Most internal swelling has resolved by one year after rhinoplasty. There may be other causes unrelated to the surgery which may cause nasal obstruction. See a board certified facial plastic surgeon for a second opinion, as he/she has training and expertise in both the cosmetic and functional aspects of the nose.

Answered 9/21/2013

5.2k views