will i lose my extra body fat when i start my period my mother tells me, that when i start my period i will lose my extra body fat, i am at my average weight for my age and height, but i still have fat. will i lose it naturally or is there anyway i can ge

2 doctor answers
25 years experience Psychiatry
Hello. : Hello. I would not expect that your bodyfat would drop because you start having periods. Maybe what your mother was referring to, was that your body curves can change with puberty. For instance, the waist can be smaller in comparison to the size of the chest or the buttocks. I am glad to hear that you have a healthy weight for your height and age. The most important thing is to be healthy. We all have fat. It is necessary to have fat in our bodies. One thing that i find sad, is that so many girls don't love their bodies. Many girls want to look like skinny models. Some girls go on drastic diets or eat too few calories to try to become really skinny. Did you know that it isn't always healthy to be really skinny? I recommend that you eat 5 servings a day of vegetables and 4 servings of fruit per day. Learn about eating healthy fats. I don't recommend that you try to eat really low calories at your age. Your body needs nourishment to grow. Try not to eat lots of junk food. Aerobic exercise is very important for good health; whether it is walking, or jogging or swimming etc. You take care. If you focus on being healthy and loving yourself - everything else fits into place.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. Daniel Weiss
46 years experience Endocrinology
You : You will not lose extra fat when your periods start. Talk with your doctor about your weight. Maybe you do not have a problem. Maybe you are at a healthy weight. Everyone should have some fat. If you need to lose you can track activity and calories with some online free or low cost websites. See some of the links on the website below.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016