U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

Can tooth contouring be used to fix crooked teeth without braces? i have what i feel like are not very crooked teeth, and would like to know if tooth contouring might be an acceptable alternative to full braces when it comes to getting straight teeth?

8 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Zev Kaufman
Cosmetic Dentistry 27 years experience
Tooth : Tooth contouring is very limited. If all you need is very minor correction, such as jagged incisal edges and uneven ones, it might work very well. Your dentist might want to make study models of your teeth and you can see exactly how much will have to be removed. Orthodontics is almost always the preferred way of correcting tooth malposition. It is also the best modality to position the teeth into a healthy relationship that allows you to clean between the teeth in the most effective manner. Tooth contouring is also irreversible. Make sure that what you want the dentist to do is the proper procedure. Best of luck, dr. Zev kaufman.
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
Minor : Minor corrections can be made by contouring teeth but if the corrections are significant it would require removal of too much enamel. Orthodontic treatment is indicated in these cases. Be certain to plan out any changes before you start.
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Specializes in Orthodontics
Depending : Depending on your needs, other alternatives to "full" braces are limited treatment for just cosmetic alignment of a few teeth, or using clear braces or other less noticeable systems for aligning the teeth. Tooth recontouring and restoration sometimes can be done, but it is hard to say what would be the appropriate situation for your needs. I would recommend getting a consultation with an orthodontist as well as your own dentist to discuss the options in more detail and how each would be specific to your case. After that, you should be able to make an informed decision of the best way for you to proceed.
Dr. Jerry Gordon
Specializes in Dentistry
Tooth : Tooth contouring or tooth shaping as i like to call it can be used to make teeth appear more straight. In some cases, tooth shaping combined with white or resin fillings can be a conservative way to make teeth appear straighter. I suggest you talk to your dentist about what options he or she recommends to improve your smile.
Dr. David Stall
Dentistry 38 years experience
Aligning : Aligning crooked teeth by contouring is very limited. If you have only minor misalignment a combination of contouring and bonding is possible and inexpensive. However, most of the time, orthodontics (braces) is a better and healthier option as contouring is irreversible-once part of the tooth is removed it's gone. Other options that would bypass the need for braces could include componeers or porcelain veneers. Again, these are more invasive procedures.
Dr. David Schleimer
A Verified Doctoranswered
A US doctor answeredLearn more
Unlikely: If your teeth are basically straight, but look uneven due to slight variations in vertical height, it is possible to "recontour" the edges to be more "in line", one must wear a retainer to make sure these reduced teeth do not move "up" again. This is a very rare scenario, but if it exists, it is one way to make it look better. Orthodontics is almost always preferred.
Dr. S. jay Bowman
Orthodontics 36 years experience
Caution: Cutting-up teeth may not be best choice. Seek an opinion with an orthodontic specialist first to see if there are simple solutions to your specific situation. It may not require full braces to correct.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Limited application: Surgery (reshaping a tooth) can be done in cases of minimal tooth malposition. 1. Ask your dentist to do a wax-up of what you will look like after reshaping (there will be a charge). 2. See an orthodontist to learn if correcting your malocclusion would be beneficial esthetically and functionally. Once you have all the facts you can make an informed decision.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 48-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 6, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.