I have a growth coming up underneath my tongue and is causing a lot of jaw pain. what should i do? i saw a doctor in the er on wednesday and i was put on peniccilen for a possible infection. i went to the er because it felt like my tongue was swelling up.

Hello. : Hello. I am sorry to heart about this. I don't know what the growth under your tongue is. Sialolithiasis can begin as a painful lump under the tongue. The sublingual glands are directly under the tongue and can develop tumors. If it is a sublingual tumor, this is often evaluated by an otolaryngologist (ear, nose & throat).The following procedures may be used: a medical evaluation is likely to include a physical exam and history: possible studies could include: a MRI (magnetic resonance imaging): act scan (cat scan); pet scan (positron emission tomography scan) or an ultrasound.
Dr. Vidhya Sampath
Dentistry 22 years experience
So : So sorry to hear that you are in pain. How long have you had the growth? As dr. Fowler suggested, you should go to your regular physician and get it checked out completely and thoroughly. It would also be to your benefit to pay a visit to your dentist. You might be referred to a specialist in both cases, for further evaluation and care. Do the needful. Better be safe than sorry! good luck!
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
An : An evaluation by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon is also recommended. They have the training to evaluate you to rule out a dental problem, growth that requires a biopsy, salivary gland pathology or congenital problem such as thyroglossal duct cyst.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Growth: Any swelling/bleeding/pain deserves immediate evaluation. Any oral lesion that lasts for 2 weeks or longer deserves immediate attention. any swelling within your airway deserves immediate attention. As talented as ER docs are, lesions in the mouth are not in their wheelhouse. Please schedule an examination with an Oral and Maxillary Surgeon immediately.

Last updated Mar 24, 2019