Is this normal or is it nerve damage i had neck sergery this past october. when i got to my room i had no use for my right arm and hand. now i can raise my arm a little from my side and in front of me. my right hand amd fingers is swollen now my left hand

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Herbert Krob answered

Specializes in Neurology

Lasting : Lasting numbness and weakness of part or all of a limb is usually caused by damage to the brain or spinal cord, or to a nerve or nerves. A surgeon or physician (doctor) can evaluate new or worse problems and help answer questions about progression or recovery. Limbs that are weak or numb can also become swollen. Sometimes this is because they are not being used, but there are other causes that are more serious. Swelling that is new is a reason to see a doctor quickly.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Steven Klein answered

Specializes in Neurosurgery

It : It depends on how you were before surgery. If this was for a cervical disc, it should improve in a timely fashion and if it is improving, observe it. If this is new and nor improving, an mei is not unreasonable. Your surgeon may have better insight as to how long to wait before taking a second look. Also the feeling of being swollen is not the same as being swollen.... If this was something unexpected and is not improving, ask for an mri....

Answered 3/10/2019

5.3k views