do perlane (dermal fillers) injections hurt? i don't like shots much. i'm always worried they're going to hurt. i'd really like to get perlane (dermal fillers), but i'm worried the injections might hurt.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Suzanne Galli
24 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Some : Some injectable fillers- like Perlane (dermal fillers) are available with a numbing medication mixed in. Topical Lidocaine on the skin will help alleviate the discomfort. After pre-treament, the injection of the filler feels more like pressure than pain.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Peter Certo
29 years experience Dentistry
If : If you are not numbed before hand, then, yes! the use of topical anesthetic works very well to almost completely eliminate any injection pain. The dental injections to numb you hurt almost as much as the filler injections. I do not recommend fillers with lidocaine, in my opinion, it is useless. The pain come from the needle, not the filler. The anesthetic in the fillers only numbs you after it has been injected. Therefore, Lidocaine is just a waste of space. It takes up 20% of the volume in the filler syringe. So the immediate results you see will deminish by 20% within a few hours. When i was trained, they were thrilled to have a dentist, since i already knew how to handle a needle and give dental injections, plus I have an anesthetic reversal agent in house. After doing my first filler, after training, with dental numbing, I have not done it that way since. My first was my hygienist. I had to do a touch up 4 days later because i misjudge the amount of filler due to the volume added to her face with the dental anesthetic. I only use topical anesthetic for the touch up. She told me to never dental numb another patient because she felt no more pain with the topical than with the needle numbing. She told me the dental numbing hurt the most. I now only dental numb to fill lips.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1