A male asked:

Does the hospital have to tell a potential employer about a certain prescription drug i'm taking i go to a methadone clinic, i don't do drugs or anything illeagle i just want to know when the hospital finds methadone in my system as long as i have a note

Dr. Joseph Hayes
Pain Management 41 years experience
Hi, : Hi, it is not clear whether the hospital will be your employer. I am not sure what role the hospital has with respect to testing for methadone. But based on the information that you presented i opinion is that the hospital has an obligation not to tell a potential employer. There are a number of laws which protect you such as the hipaa which protects the privacy of your medical information and the ada. The ada or americans with disability acts protects your Methadone program as a "covered disability" as long as you are compliant to the program. Now, there are certain exceptions such as them dot federal highway regulations. You would be disqualified from driving if you are taking methadone. I hope this answers your question. Dr joe hayes.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
It is confidential: Anyone in drug treatment program who releases information without your express permission is breaking the law, and could both be sued by you for damages and prosecuted criminally. Your question isn't clear as to whether you are receiving Methadone from a hospital-based program, or whether they are your employer. If they test you and find it, and it is legally prescribed, it shouldnt be problem.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016