Will my scars be very noticeable after otoplasty? my ears stick out a lot, and i want otoplasty to fix it. but i don't want to trade being embarrassed about my dumbo ears for being embarrassed about scars around my ears. can i use my hair to hide the scar

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Thomas Lamperti answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Otoplasty : Otoplasty scars usually hide well as they're on the back of the ear. You can certainly hide the scars as they heal with your hair style though.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Richard Fleming answered

Specializes in Facial Plastic Surgery

Whenever : Whenever possible we always place incisions in natural lines or in places where they will not be seen. Incisions for an otoplasty are made on the back side of your ears. In that location they will not be seen and should give you total freedom of hairstyles including ponytails and the ability to wear your hair on top of your head. You now have more limitations on hair styles trying to hide your dumbo ears.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Rene Perez answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Surgery

When planned well: Scars are not noticeable. The skin around the ear is very forgiving and heals well.

Answered 5/2/2015

3.3k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

No: No. Scars hidden behind ear. No problem. Make sure you are treated by facial plastic surgeon

Answered 7/7/2015

2.6k views