Douglassville, PA

Does a family history of cancer affect my recovery from basal cell carcinoma? i just found out today that i have a basal cell carcinoma on my lower leg. the doctor is referring me to a plastic surgeon to get it treated. i have a huge history of cancer in

Dr. Matthew Schwartz
Radiation Oncology 27 years experience
Probably : Probably not. The most common cause of basal cell carcinoma of the skin is sun exposure. The best thing you can do to prevent new skin cancers is to limit your sun exposure by wearing adequate sunblock when outside (spf 30 or above), wear a hat, cover sun exposed skin areas, and limit uv light exposure. Factors that can affect recovery time after surgery can include diabetes, smoking, peripheral vascular disease, and poor circulation. I would discuss any surgery related questions with your surgeon that will be performing the surgery.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Stephen Christensen
The : The primary risk factor for basal cell carcinoma is sun exposure. Advancing age, male gender, and fair skin are additional risk factors, as is exposure to certain toxic chemicals or ionizing radiation. People with a family history of skin cancer may be at increased risk, but this risk could be due to shared environmental factors rather than a genetic tendency. Basal cell carcinoma is usually a slow-growing malignancy, and it is less likely to metastasize (spread to distant sites) than other cancers. It is usually very responsive to treatment, and your family history of cancer should not affect your recovery or long-term outcome. I hope things go well with the plastic surgeon!
Last updated Oct 4, 2016