my family dr. said i have a hernia and"cystocele with prolapse". i am a 51 year old female.what needs to be done? what type of dr do i need to see, and what needs to be done . how many surgeries will it take to fix the problem? how long would my recovery

Dr. Frances Dyro
Neurology 54 years experience
Cystocoele : Cystocoele with prolapse is when the wall of the vagina that is toward the bladder is stretched out and the bladder sags toward it sometimes to the point where it feels like a lump sticking out of the vagina.When that happens you would have urinary problems like leakage with coughing. In women the most common hernia in that region is usually a femoral hernia that would protrude to the side of the pubic bone. The surgery that is done for cystocele (american spelling) is called a suspension. It is done using various materials to create a sling for the neck of the bladder. If you do have a femoral hernia that may be repaired at the same time. You would ideally see a uro-gynecologist.Gynecologists also do suspensions and anterior repairs.
Dr. William Helton
General Surgery 40 years experience
You : You should be evaluated by a urogynecologic surgeon who has experience with repairing these type of hernias which can be quite complicated. If you are over weight, then losing weight is perhaps the most important thing that you can do. In addition, avoid constipation and straining when you urinate.
Dr. Michael Hulse
Gynecology 27 years experience
It depends.: Bladder prolapse or cystocele is a very common condition. Prolapse is not a dangerous condition and does not necessarily require any treatment unless it is symptomatic to you. A good starting point would be to see your gynecologist. If you have this repaired it could be done in one surgery. Recovery time varies but around six weeks would be typical.